This Mexican Tater Tot Bake is so good!
This Mexican tater tot bake reminds me of nachos but with tater tots. Who can resist some yummy tater tots once in a while. Add some refried beans and cheese and you’ve got something really special. I mean, I love cooking with non processed foods but sometimes you need something quick and easy.
With this recipe you are still making the refried beans, but don’t worry they are quick and easy to make. And they are so much better than the ones you can get out of a can. They are smooth and full of flavor!
I’m guessing we all have some canned beans in the cupboard these days to use up, and for this meal you only need 1 can of black beans. This is a perfect recipe if your trying to limit meat or if your a vegetarian. These beans are so good, believe me you won’t miss the meat!
I don’t know about you, but I love Mexican food. This recipe for a Mexican Tater Tot Bake really hits the spot!! Do you love nachos? I do! This meal is kind of like nachos but way better! The tater tots are warm and comforting, unlike chips. If your from the midwest, I’m sure you know how the classic tater tot hot dish makes you feel. I think your going to love this recipe.
Before we get started please subscribe…..
Now gather your ingredients……
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 pack of golden crispy crowns tater tots
- Your choice of cheddar cheese -2 packs
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 2 jalapeño (remove seeds)-diced
- 1 clove of garlic -minced
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- coconut oil
- salt & pepper
- Cotjia cheese (optional)
- Mexican Crema (optional) or sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato
First we’ll start by making our homemade Refried black beans.
See the recipe card below for details…..
Now it’s time to put your Mexican Tater Tot bake together.
See the recipe card below for details…..
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest or share it on facebook!!
Mexican Tater Tot Bake
Prep and cook time may vary.
- Refried Black beans
1 can of black beans
1 clove of garlic -minced
1/2 onion- diced
1 jalapeno -diced (remove seeds)
1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Salt & Pepper
- Remaining ingredients for the tater tot bake
1/2 tomato diced
1/2 jalapeno sliced
1/2 cup guacamole
Mexican crema or sour cream
Your choice of cheese (1-2 packages)
1 pack of crispy crowns (flat & round) tater tots.
Cilantro- chopped (used to garnish)
Cotija cheese (optional for the top)
- On medium heat start by adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to your saute pan. Then add 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds. Cook them until they start to pop.
- Then add 1/2 onion diced, 1 jalapeño diced with seeds removed then 1 clove of garlic minced. Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans and add them to your saute pan. Then add 1 cup of vegetable stock. Next top it with 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Then let it simmer for 5 mins. Taste the broth, and season if needed.
- Next place the contents in your blender and puree until smooth. Then add them back to your saute pan. At this point they are smooth and creamy. Let them cook on low for a couple mins to thicken the mixture. If you feel like they need a kick add a dash of chili powder and a dash of cumin powder, and season with salt if needed.
- Putting your tater tot bake together
- Now that your beans are almost ready it’s time to put everything else together. First start by greasing your baking pan with coconut oil. Then put down a layer of tater tots. Like this….
- Next add a layer of cheese.
- Next add a layer of your Refried black beans.
- Then add a layer of cheese and top it with a layer of tater tots.
- Next top it with another layer of Refried beans and lastly add another layer of cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 mins.
- When it’s done cooking it’s time to start adding the toppings. You’ll want to dice your tomatoes, and slice your jalapeños. And get all your toppings ready. First add shredded lettuce. Then dollops of guacamole and diced tomatoes and slices of jalapeños to the top.
- Then add your mexican crema or sour cream. If you want to make it look pretty you can add some to a zip lock bag and cut the corner off and pipe some on the top like this….
- Lastly sprinkle on some cotija cheese (optional) and cilantro and that’s it!
- Feel free to layer with taco meat if you would rather have meat than beans. Or better yet add both!
I hope you enjoy this meal. If you liked this recipe, please share it with a friend!
Recent Recipes on City Foodie Farm
- Quick Cinnamon Rolls
- Mama’s Simple Pot Roast
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mexican Tater Tot Bake
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Another one of my favorites….
If you like eating healthy or for a purpose check out medical medium. I love his books!!
Thanks for stopping by!!
Copyright 2019-2020 -City Foodie Farm -All Rights Reserved