It amazes me how you can take such simple ingredients and turn them into something amazing. This dish revolves around a sweet potato and a can of black beans. And lots of limes and cilantro. The good stuff really. Yes, I’m talking about cilantro. I love that stuff. And it’s so good for you. Just like my citrus, I always make sure to have some on hand.
One thing I do enjoy is cooking with my husband. He’s not like me and he comes up with things on the fly. For instance. This recipe was his vision, but we developed it together, as we cooked. And we’ve perfected this recipe to share with you all! It has a couple parts to the recipe but worth making.
We’ve lately become a fan of cooking with coconut oil. And with this dish we feel it really enhances the flavors.
Let’s get started….
Ingredients for Vegetarian Refried Black Beans:
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 clove of garlic -minced
- 1/2 of a red onion- diced
- 1 jalapeño -diced (remove seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Start by adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to your saute pan. Then add 1/4 teaspoon of whole cumin seeds. Cook them until they start to pop. Then add 1/2 red onion diced, 1 diced jalapeño, and 1 clove of garlic minced. Season with a dash of salt and pepper (we used pink peppercorns this time).
- Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans and add them to your saute pan. Then add 1 cup of vegetable stock. And top it with 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and let them simmer for about 5 mins. Taste the broth and season if needed.
- Then place them in your blender and puree them until smooth.
- Then add them back to your saute pan. At this point they are so smooth and creamy. Truly delicious!! Leave them on simmer low and cover them until you are ready to use them.
Now it’s time to get your sesame and pepita topping ready.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup water (or 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- Put 1/8 cup water and 1/4 cup granulated sugar into a saute pan.
- Cook on medium heat until the sugar melts and starts to turn golden brown.
- Then mix in the seeds -2 tablespoons sesame seeds and 2 tablespoons pepitas.
- Once the seeds are coated season with salt and pour on parchment paper.
- Press into a thin layer.
- Allow to cool before you break it into small pieces.
Now it’s time to get your Sweet potatoes ready…
Ingredients for the sweet potatoes tacos:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil
- Lime salt -Recipe below
- 2-3 limes
- 1 jalapeño
- Queso fresco
- 1 pack of small corn tortillas
Curious about lime salt?
This stuff is delicious!! Make it by adding 1 tablespoon of salt to a bowl and the zest from 1 lime. And mix together. Give it a taste. When I tasted it for the first time, all I could think about was a yummy margarita.
Directions for the sweet potatoes:
- Microwave your sweet potatoes for 4 mins. Or until soft. Place in the refrigerator to cool
- Once cool peel potatoes and slice into 1/4” thick slices. Season with lime salt on both sides.
- Add coconut oil to a preheated pan over medium high heat.
- Add potato slices and cook until the potatoes have good color (brown edges). About 3 mins per side.
- Remove from the pan and season with lime juice.
- Set aside on a plate.
- Then sauté your onions and cilantro.
- Warm your tortillas on the stove to give them some color.
Now get ready to put your tacos together…
- Grab your warmed tortilla
- Spread your refried beans on your tortilla.
- Then lay 2-3 sweet potato slices on top of your beans.
- Top them with the sautéed onions.
- Then sprinkle on some chopped cilantro and queso fresco.
- Add the sesame and pepita crunch on top then lastly fresh jalapeño slices. And a squeeze of lime.
I hope you made more than one for yourself, I can almost guarantee you’ll want another…
Don’t miss another Recipe, please subscribe….
- Baked Goat Cheese Pasta Dish
- Crispy Taco Seasoned Potatoes
- Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- Easy Apple Galette
- Dark Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
Thanks for stopping by!!
Copyright 2019 -City Foodie Farm -All Rights Reserved