Roasted spaghetti squash stir-fry is so good, and healthy too!! With this recipe you won’t miss the rice, I promise!
I’ll be teaching you how to make this delicious stir-fry. In this recipe the roasted spaghetti squash will replace your rice. This meal consists of a rainbow of vegetables, like carrots, purple cabbage, onions, and red peppers. The added chickpeas give it a slight nuttiness and the protein to complete this meal.
The stir fry sauce is what ties this dish together. You’ll find hints of garlic, ginger and some sweetness, and a slight background of heat. However, the heat isn’t that noticeable. Last but not least it’s topped with one of my favorite herbs, cilantro. It truly gives it that real fresh flavor.
Meals like this made with wholesome ingredients are the best! Healthy and the flavors just work together! They make it easy to push the processed stuff aside. Not sure if I’ve told you guys, but I love meatless meals. Although, I do still have my moments when I’m craving some ribs or a juicy hamburger. Without a doubt, you’ll still find a variety here on City foodie farm.
If your a fan of spaghetti squash, you definitely need to try this dish.
If you’ve never cooked with it or haven’t even tasted it, don’t worry because I’ll show you a very simple way cook it. Spaghetti squash is so fun to eat, because it actually resembles spaghetti noodles. Crazy isn’t it. It’s delicious by itself.
Spaghetti squash is not like other winter squash. It’s considered to be a non starchy vegetable, like a zucchini or a summer squash. It’s oval in shape, and yellow in color. You can definitely always find it in the grocery store year round, or at your local farmers market. You can also try growing it yourself. Last season we tried growing spaghetti squash from a seed we saved, but unfortunately it didn’t make it. The gourds took over!! Well, there is always next season, right!!
There are so many dishes you can make with this vegetable. Also so many ways to cook it too. I’ve learned you can even cook it in the microwave. I have yet to try that method. With this recipe, I will teach you how to roast it in the oven. At this time, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and let’s get cooking!!
How to cook Spaghetti Squash….
If this video was helpful, please give us a thumbs up! And please subscribe for more videos. Thank you!!
Spaghetti Squash Stir-FryCourse: Recipes, Vegetarian recipes
You’ll be prepping and cooking your stir fry while your spaghetti squash is roasting, so the prep & cook time may vary.
1 spaghetti squash- roasted- See the how to video below
3 carrots- washed and peeled then julienned
1 cup of purple cabbage- sliced thinly
1 yellow onion-sliced thinly
1 red pepper diced in larger chunks
1 can of chickpeas- rinsed
Salt & Pepper
- Stir fry sauce
1/3 of a cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon ginger -minced
2 cloves of garlic -minced
1 Jalapeño- diced (remove seeds)
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. First you’ll want to get your squash ready for the oven. Wash and dry your spaghetti squash. Then cut off both ends, and slice the squash in half -the long way. Now drizzle olive oil in the center and rub the flesh of the spaghetti squash with the olive oil. Then season with salt and pepper and place on a sheet tray face down. Cook for approx. 40 mins. Take the tray out of the oven and carefully (it’s hot) flip the spaghetti squash over and let it cool before loosening and stripping the squash with a fork. It should be stringy and resemble spaghetti noodles. See the video on recipe.
- While your squash is cooking you’ll want to start your stir fry sauce, and prep your veggies. Then cook your stir fry.
- Grab a bowl and add 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of honey. Now mince 1 tablespoon of ginger and 2 cloves of garlic and dice 1 jalapeño (no seeds and add them to your bowl. Then add 1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil and 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro, stir and set aside.
- Open, drain and rinse your can of chickpeas. Add them to a bowl and set aside.
- Now it’s time to get your stir fry veggies ready. You’ll need 3 carrots washed, peeled & Julianned. Then 1 cup of purple cabbage thinly sliced in smaller pieces. And 1 yellow onion sliced. Then 1 red pepper diced in larger chunks. Add everything to a prep plate and set aside.
- If your spaghetti squash gets done cooking, take it out and let it cool until your stir fry is ready. Now your ready to start cooking your stir fry. Add some olive oil to your pan. First add your onions, then one by one add the rest of the veggies on your prep plate. Cook for 5 mins then add your chickpeas, and stir fry sauce and cook for another 5-10 mins. You don’t want to over cook your veggies. When your squash has cool, use a fork to loosen it from the sides with a downward motion. It should be stringy and resemble noodles.
- Now your ready to dish up your meal. Start by adding the roasted spaghetti squash to a plate then add your stir fry on top and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- This would be a great recipe to meal prep and have it for the week! It’s a great meatless, low carb meal! You could speed up your prep time by buying pre cut carrots and cabbage. And if your cooking for a larger family, you could always add a little more veggies.
Have you tried the roasted spaghetti squash right out of the oven? It’s delicious even without the stir fry on top.
I hope you enjoy this meal! Roasted spaghetti squash is so healthy and a great alternative not just for spaghetti noodles but other things. This recipe shows you it can also be a alternative to rice. And it’s something you could make ahead and have it ready for a healthy lunch or dinner. If you like this recipe, please share it with a friend.
If your a stir fry fan, check out this dish on City Foodie Farm.
Join us on a journey of creating dishes and digging in the dirt! You’ll be notified when something new is posted on City Foodie Farm.
Recent posts on City Foodie Farm
- Kale with Lemon & Hemp Seeds
- Peanut Chicken Stir-Fry Salad
- Strawberry Jam Muffins
- Chocolate chip and Toffee Cookies
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry
If your a fan of healthy eating and eating with purpose check out Medical Medium!!
Thanks for stopping by!!
Copyright 2020 -City Foodie Farm -All Rights Reserved